[Coco] High(Er) speed cassette loading.

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 23:38:22 EST 2020

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 10:26 PM Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 30, 2020, at 8:20 PM, David Ladd <davidwladd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sadly 4X speed speed the load time I was never able to get to work on
> tape
> > itself.  Only 2X as most of the tapes I had didn't seem to handle 4X the
> > data rate lol.
>
> After watching AC’s YouTube video, I’m quite impressed with the
> improvements that could have been done on tape loading back then.
>
> As to quality, I do not know how good the audio was on Radio Shack
> computer cassettes, but I know there was a huge difference in some cheap 90
> minute tape versus a high quality 30 minute Maxell or whatever.  I spent a
> few years at a sing-along recording studio in a mall and we bought decent
> quality short tapes in bulk.  But for the multitrack studio side, they
> would always buy Maxells and such for mixing down for the customer.
>
> I expect a higher quality tape would help a lot.  The rest is signal loss
> going through the cassette deck. I wonder how much difference the
> record/playback heads were and if that mattered a lot. I expect it would,
> some.
>
> Maybe a good quality Maxell on a good quality audio deck would do it no
> problem?

Well I was never into audio equipment so not sure on this part.
Would be interesting to see what could be done with a really good tape deck
and tapes.  Sadly my CCR-81 and CCR-82's are broken and I never got into
the Hi-Fi audio equipment.

Wonder if anyone else has stuff to test this stuff out. :)

>                 — A
> <cut>

Sincerely,
David Ladd
***END OF LINE***
| David Ladd a.k.a. PacoOtaktay a.k.a. Drencor                          |
| YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay                      |
| YouTube Gaming Live: https://gaming.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay/live |
| Websites are:                                                         |
|   http://daves-hobbies.com                                            |
|   http://dwladd.com                                                   |
|   http://www.theterrorzone.com                                        |
| Do you have your CoCo 3 yet?                                          |