[Coco] High(Er) speed cassette loading.

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 21:20:59 EST 2020

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 2:18 PM Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:

> On CoCoTak, I heard a reference to David Ladd experimenting with higher
> baud rates for loading from tape.
>
> Before I had my disk drive, I found I could reliably CSAVE and CLOAD using
> the double speed POKE on my CoCo. Did anyone else do that?

Yes I did that on my CoCo 3 back in the day I use to use the high speed
poke and save stuff out to cassette without problem and load it back with
the high speed poke.

Now I did find in the Color Basic routines on load and found that there are
3 variables that are stored in $8F to $91 that if I cut those in half I
could load those saves I had made with the CoCo 3 at high speed mode I
could load them in on my CoCo 2 at normal speed mode.

The one big thing is that you must make sure you have at least half a
second silence between the header and the main body of data to load at
normal speed with the timing routine counters cut in half.

I also used Audacity to double the play back speed and with the timing mods
and high speed mode was able to load a binary in 1/4 the normal time.

Sadly 4X speed speed the load time I was never able to get to work on tape
itself.  Only 2X as most of the tapes I had didn't seem to handle 4X the
data rate lol.

> Where there any "tape accelerator" products for the CoCo?
>
> --
> Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT
> only)
> http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware
> http://www.PayPal.me/AllenHuffman.
> http://swagbucks.com/refer/allenhuffman

Sincerely,
David Ladd
***END OF LINE***
| David Ladd a.k.a. PacoOtaktay a.k.a. Drencor                          |
| YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay                      |
| YouTube Gaming Live: https://gaming.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay/live |
| Websites are:                                                         |
|   http://daves-hobbies.com                                            |
|   http://dwladd.com                                                   |
|   http://www.theterrorzone.com                                        |
| Do you have your CoCo 3 yet?                                          |