[Coco] High(Er) speed cassette loading.

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Dec 30 15:51:51 EST 2020

On Dec 30, 2020, at 2:38 PM, John Guin <johnguin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> And frankly, for the day, 1500 baud wasn't too shabby for a cassette system.  Heck, that was faster than my modem!  Other machines used 300 baud, and some even saved twice to help with reliability concerns, so this wasn't too big a concern for me.

Faster than my friend's Commodore disk drive!

I had a friend in Houston CSAVE an ASCII BASIC program over the phone while I recorded it from my phone. I was able to load the tape. 1500 baud file transfer, back when modems were 300!

> I remember one product that used tapes - but it was more like the Coleco Adam tape drive.  It was designed to be higher speed from the start and did not use cassettes.  There may have been some devices, but I don't remember them.

Stringy floppies? I never saw one, but they sounded interesting. Random access tape drives!