[Coco] Sort of OT: Recapping

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Dec 1 18:38:46 EST 2020

On Tuesday 01 December 2020 17:03:48 Salvador Garcia via Coco wrote:

>  I am curious as to why you are recommending the metal can for
> disposal of the q-tips.

So am I, just toss in the trash and let them dry for 2-3 minutes before
you dump your ashtray in on top of them. There is valid respect but the
paranoia is taking it a bit far.

> Thanks! Salvador
>
>     On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 12:55:30 PM CST, Andrew
> <keeper63 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>  Regarding the use of acetone, q-tips, etc - just throwing in my 2
> pennies:
>
> First off - no problems with the acetone idea, though I'd probably try
> 90+% isopropyl first, but that's just me (it's what you can use to
> make liquid flux - just mix in rosin chips).
>
> Anyhow, if you throw the q-tips away, like Gene said, put 'em in a
> metal can - but also I would add, use one with a lid - ideally a metal
> compression lid, like a cookie tin or something (you can get nice ones
> that would be perfect at the dollar store if you don't have one - or
> an empty and clean paint can can also work, although the lids on those
> are a real pain to get off).
>
> Regarding using q-tips: In my experience, such things work, but tend
> to "catch" on thru-hole leads - and then you have to clean the cotton
> fibers off! Not really a huge deal, but something to think about.
>
> Instead, while you're at the dollar store look for small eyeliner
> sponge sticks (ask your wife, she'll probably know what I mean) - they
> are like a little stick with a small sponge wedge on the end. They
> don't tend to grab or shed like the swabs.

I have tried them, but found the acetone ate them, leaving the remains on
the board.

Also, it there is any chance of moisture getting to the board later, its
a good idea to have a rattle gun full of circuit board varnish to recoat
the board with. I have no clue if that's a really special varnish but
I've used it on news dept stuff cuz they don't mind going swimming with
it if it gets them the story. So-called journalists can be a major pain
for the Chief Engineer expected to say abra cadabra and fix whatever
they can screw up. Losing a couple $90 camera batteries at a basketball
game is another of their specialty's. I finally got those costs moved to
the news budget but it took a while and 2 new GM's and 3 new news
directors to get that point across.