[Coco] Sort of OT: Recapping

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 1 17:03:48 EST 2020

 I am curious as to why you are recommending the metal can for disposal of the q-tips.

Thanks! Salvador

    On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 12:55:30 PM CST, Andrew <keeper63 at cox.net> wrote:

 Regarding the use of acetone, q-tips, etc - just throwing in my 2 pennies:

First off - no problems with the acetone idea, though I'd probably try
90+% isopropyl first, but that's just me (it's what you can use to make
liquid flux - just mix in rosin chips).

Anyhow, if you throw the q-tips away, like Gene said, put 'em in a metal
can - but also I would add, use one with a lid - ideally a metal
compression lid, like a cookie tin or something (you can get nice ones
that would be perfect at the dollar store if you don't have one - or an
empty and clean paint can can also work, although the lids on those are
a real pain to get off).

Regarding using q-tips: In my experience, such things work, but tend to
"catch" on thru-hole leads - and then you have to clean the cotton
fibers off! Not really a huge deal, but something to think about.

Instead, while you're at the dollar store look for small eyeliner sponge
sticks (ask your wife, she'll probably know what I mean) - they are like
a little stick with a small sponge wedge on the end. They don't tend to
grab or shed like the swabs.

While they are disposable, they can be re-used. Since the job is tiny,
just save a plastic bottle cap from a soda bottle (or something small
like that), and use a medicine dropper to fill the cap, then dip the
brush from that (to avoid contaminating the main container). Then when
done, wipe the sponge brush on a small piece of paper towel, and dispose
of the towel in the metal can (reuse the towel next time, too). When the
brush is no longer any good (it won't shed like the swabs, but it will
eventually wear out), toss it in the can too, and grab another.

Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona
phoenixgarage.org
github.com/andrew-ayers