[Coco] Cheap generic gotek drives

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at ramoth.org.uk
Wed Aug 26 12:19:25 EDT 2020

On 26/08/2020 14:51, Walter Zambotti wrote:
> Also found this resource
>
> https://www.n4vlf.net/gotek.html
>
> Shows an IDC to card edge adapter and discusses custom shugart firmware
> for TRS-80 floppy emulation.  Not sure if this is the same as CoCo or not!

It's also worth pointing out the FlashFloppy open source firmware for
the Gotek, which is under active development. I have used it on several
machines including the Dragon, Nascom and Acorn / BBC, and found it to
work well.

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy

The Wiki linked from the above github page gives details of modifying
and programming the firmware onto a gotek.

The same person that developed the FlashFloppy hardware is also working
on the other side of the equation, taking a floppy disk and making an
image of it via USB with Greaseweazle. Since this uses an STM32 ARM
microcontroller, and records the individual flux transitions it can also
image non-standard / copy protected disks.

https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle

Cheers,

Phill.

https://www.avg.com