[Coco] re" "Who came up with pyDriveWire ?"

richec rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Mon Aug 10 15:38:11 EDT 2020

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 15:39:13 +0000 (UTC)
Francis Swygert <farna at att.net> wrote:

> "if running an application means spending 3 days trying to modify the
> system to get something working there is a serious problem"
> Part of the issue here is you're working with to disparate systems
> though -- CoCo (OS-9 or DECB) and Windows 10 or Linux. I think there
> is a Mac version of DriveWire too.
>
> Add that to Jim's other argument:"It may be a serious problem for the
> person trying to install, but perhaps not for the author:
>
>   * Am I trying to design a tool for lots of people to use, or is my
>     attempt just another option to consider?
>   * Are there lots of people having the same issue?
>   * If so, do I plan to support it or change to accommodate it?
>
> I stand by my original point.  You are free to choose to install the
> app (or not, if you can't or find it too hard to get it to do so in
> your environment, but casting concerns about the choice of language
> is overstepping."
> I am more a user than anything any more, and I've had trouble loading
> some programs in Linux. I usually find the help I need on various
> forums, but sometimes not. I'm currently trying to get PageStream (a
> commercial DTP program) up and running again (I used it extensively
> about five years ago, lost it when updating Linux Mint) and run into
> the usual "you should be using an open source program" comments and
> grudging help. Scribus may work now, wasn't developed enough when I
> first looked into it about 10 years ago and settled on PageStream.
> Now I have some older PageStream files I want to copy from, and I'm
> familiar with it and want to use it for a new project. Linux people
> don't want to support anything that's not open source, and developers
> don't want to expose their code to just anybody, so there will never
> be much commercial software for Linux, so it will never seriously
> challenge Windows, the defacto standard OS. Linux proponents don't
> seem to get that!! I understand the open source movement, but you
> don't have to suppress everything else -- especially if it's the
> better product. Today Scribus seems to be as robust as PageStream,
> but I'm already vested in PgS. I don't care about Open Source -- I'm
> not a programmer and won't be modifying any code myself.  Sorry for
> the OT rant...

Hi Frank, I too use Pagestream, but almost exclusively on Windows 10 as
I had trouble getting it (32bit) working on my 64bit Linux. They
ubiquous and readed library issues 8-/. I found the Windows versions
works great on Linux when used with WINE. Have you questions the
Pagestream maillist?

RECrislip