[Coco] Starting to unpack COCOs from storage

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Apr 30 08:47:38 EDT 2020

On 4/30/2020 6:25 AM, Michael Miller wrote:
> You wouldn't happen to be willing to sell the keyboard from that dead
> CoCo3, would you? I'm still looking to replace the chiclet on my CoCo
> 1...

Sorry, no.  I still think I may be able to get this one running again,
so not ready to part it out.

Depending on what is wrong with a chiclet keyboard, on older
calculators, I remember having some success with using conductive paint
to repair worn out pads.   Conductive paint used to be sold for making
hidden burglar alarm wiring.

But it was very tricky to take them apart and put them back together,
but back when $100 took a month to save up and the scientific
calculators cost at least double that, it was worth the try.

I remember having to use an exacto knife to separate the membrane by
carefully cutting at the plastic pins.  I think for reassembly I used a
soldering to either melt the pin or melt some more plastic.  Had to be
careful and fast there because the soldering iron was way to hot for the
job.

Not something I would do now unless I was desperate.

Tandy used to sell these 58 key keyboards that were about a COCO size.
I do not know compatible the matrix of them is to the coco.  I suspect
that I would have to cut traces on them and add jumpers to make them work.

Regards,
-John