[Coco] Starting to unpack COCOs from storage

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Apr 26 20:49:42 EDT 2020

On 4/23/2020 7:50 AM, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> I am just now getting to unpack my COCO stuff and see what I actually have.
>
> Is there a way in ROM basic to detect if a 6309 is installed that would
> work on COCO-1 though 3?
>
> How to detect how much memory is actually in a COCO 3 from basic?
>
> And is there a way to detect if a system is a COCO 1 or  COCO 2?
>
> I saw a mention of www.cocopedia.com wiki, but actual WIKI articles seem
> to be sparse.  Is that intended to be the main web site for the community?

So far I have found at least 3 COCO 3s to be functional.

One CCOO3 is totally dead.  Not sure if that is the one I should try
installing a 6309 in first.

Have found 2 older disk controllers that work and two newer ones that
support the DOS command.  One of the newer ones was marked broken.

Have ended up with apparently working (drive select lights respond) two
sets of 5.25" 40T DS + 3.5" 80T DS drives, and 1 5.25" 35T SS.

Short one floppy cable and 2 power converters and I can add a 3.5" 80T
Drive to the 35 track SS drive, and setup another enclosure with a 5.25"
40T DS + 35" 80T DS drives.

Next is to see which Color Computers I/II are working, and then on to
the multi-pack interfaces.  As I recall, I have one that is not working.

COCO SDC has been ordered, but need to know what else is working before
I order more stuff.

Regards,
-John