[Coco] Smart IO interfacing on the CoCo

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Apr 25 13:35:46 EDT 2020

<go4retro at go4retro.com> wrote:

> >> It’s a USB host controller chip that handles everything, then
> >> speaks serial. You can buy it on a proto board ready to hook up and
> >> preprogrammed for $10 shipped from England. Much cheaper to buy it
> >> from the US and program it directly, of course.
> >>
> >> USB keyboard, mouse, thumb drives, game controllers, and
> >> everything... all super cheap and easy to hook to the CoCo with a
> >> simple interface. :)
>
> Actually, it's a full fledged uC, with a USB host controller built in,
> like the AVR AT90USB647 and AT90USB1287.  So, you could, in theory,
> write the USB and the interface code in the same uC, even cheaper.
>
> Jim

The real question, Jim, is: If you proto a design and it works well, will
it still be available a year from now for a 3rd run of 50?  Lots of this
stuff gets replaced by newer, glossier versions everytime you load the
washing machine with last weeks underwear.  We have, or did have, 5 year
laws, but they seem to be routinely ignored.  Have they been sunsetted?
IDK.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis