[Coco] Starting to unpack COCOs from storage

tim lindner tlindner at macmess.org
Thu Apr 23 10:52:53 EDT 2020

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 5:52 AM John E. Malmberg <wb8tyw at qsl.net> wrote:

> I am just now getting to unpack my COCO stuff and see what I actually have.
>
> Is there a way in ROM basic to detect if a 6309 is installed that would
> work on COCO-1 though 3?

There is a small assembly language program in the Burke 6309 book that
can detect a 6309. You can POKE it into memory using Color BASIC.

<https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Books/The%206309%20Book%20(Burke%20&%20Burke).pdf>

> How to detect how much memory is actually in a COCO 3 from basic?

LPOKE and LPEEK will let you inspect and test up to 512K. After that
you'll need to use assembly language to modify the MMU directly.

> And is there a way to detect if a system is a COCO 1 or  COCO 2?

I don't know.

> I saw a mention of www.cocopedia.com wiki, but actual WIKI articles seem
> to be sparse.  Is that intended to be the main web site for the community?

No. There is no main web site. We are a dispersed bunch.

tim lindner

"Proper User Policy apparently means Simon Says."