[Coco] Virtual CoCoFEST! On CoCoTALK! Saturday April 18th @ 2:00 PM EDT

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Apr 16 08:34:59 EDT 2020

On 4/15/2020 5:52 PM, Dave Philipsen wrote:
> Just FYI,  Zoom has implemented new measures whereby you can choose to
> block it from using any of the servers they use to route your meeting
> through. If you want, you could block everything outside of the US. They
> have implemented lots of new stuff in response to security concerns.

I don't have a link to post that was presented at my dayjob that was
from a security analysis of zoom (not by someone at dayjob), but based
on that and the other online articles, I will not be installing it.

This is a link that I do have:
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/zoom-security-privacy-woes

And also:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-2159/Zoom.html

Read the summary for https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2019-13450/
"NOTE: a machine remains vulnerable if the Zoom Client was installed in
the past and then uninstalled."  Seems to only apply to macOS users.

Again, based on any of the reports that I have read, and the
tomsguide.com was the one of the nicer of them, I would not consider
putting zoom on a system that I was not able to wipe and re-install
everything like a testbed VM.

An article that I read recommended https://jitsi.org/ as a free open
source alternative to zoom.

I have not yet tried https://jitsi.org.