[Coco] Reimplementing BASIC09 / Microware BASIC

Walter Zambotti zambotti at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 4 22:13:39 EDT 2020

This is something llvm is exactly build for.

Once the backend is created any language could then be converted to whatever you need:

- backend for icode
- backend for asm
- backend for 6809/6309 machine code

I have recently been looking at writing a llvm backend to do the conversion to asm but the llvm object model is quite complex and the dependencies and communications between all the objects is quite over whelming.

Looking at the source for some of other backends and seeing how much has been written and the complexity of what has been written I'm not entirely sure that llvm meets it's own design goals of setting out to make compiler design any easier.

In one aspect it does because once the backend is complete every language that llvm supports should theoretically work.

Walter