[Coco] [OT - sort of] great UNIX article

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Sep 4 00:19:03 EDT 2019

On Tuesday 03 September 2019 22:08:41 rcrislip wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > It has at times been one hell of a fun ride. Now  my ticker is in
> > need of repairs it will get in 10 days or so, and I'm running in
> > econo-cruise mode with a few stents till then.
> >
> > Cheers everybody, Gene Heskett
>
> Prayed and will pray for you Gene.
>
> RECrislip

Thanks Richard. I actually feel pretty good, until I overdo it. Then I
have to slow down for a few hours.  I get a kick out of the medics
though, they never miss a lick. 3 days after escaping from the shop, and
caught up momentarily with the housework and Dee, I'm out in the garage
working on a computer when the phone rings. Reaching down I pick it up
and mutter hello.  Girl from the PT dept. wants to know if I'm
interested in a PT program they've developed for heart patients. I said
noooooooo, I'm probably doing more than that right now.  She wanted to
know what that was.  Since I was 3 steps up a stepladder with a leg
hooked over the top wrestling a full sized Dell computer around to get
at stuff, I gave her a blow by blow. She was suitably aghast and said
please be carefull. Somehow I doubt she'll call again. :)  But thats me.

The good lord has had several excellent chances to put a ~30~ on the end
of my story over the last 35 years, electrocuted in '96, punished me
with a couple months of the shingles, pulmonary embolism 5 years ago,
and now a worn out heart, but has thrown me back everytime. I don't
think he's quite ready to deal with me just yet. LOL. Pulmonary
embolisms have about a 2% survival rate, so for 8 days during that, I
was the doctors pet purple hamster, to be shown to the interns while he
was making rounds.  Wash rinse & repeat this time as they had a computer
controlled artificial aortic valve installed for about 3 days before
they put in the stents.

But I'm still here, and still having fun much of the time. Working on
bringing up a new raspberry pi-4 to run my Sheldon 11x56 metal lathe. A
raspberry pi-3b is doing it now but I keep adding gingerbread to the
linuxcnc install's gui and have pretty well used up what the 3b can do.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis