[Coco] [OT - sort of] great UNIX article

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Sep 3 16:19:47 EDT 2019

On Tuesday 03 September 2019 14:26:13 James C. Hrubik, Sr. wrote:

> Quite a fascinating read, for those of us who actually used punchcards
> and waited for computer time for our research projects.
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/08/unix-at-50-it-starts-with-a-ma
>inframe-a-gator-and-three-dedicated-researchers/

That was a hoot!  Thanks Jim. Eunuchs... Chuckle..

50+ years on, a Funny back story. At the time, '62, the head honcho at
Northwestern Bell in Rapid City wanted to hire me in the worst way, but
Bell had a policy that their employees had to have at least a high
school diploma, which I didn't have as I never got past the 8th grade
before I went to work fixing the days electronics for a living. I still
wonder what I might have had a chance to play with had he been able to
hire me. But I bailed from working for an alky, and went to the tv
station as a transmitter operator and tech a few weeks later.  The rest
as they say is history.

It has at times been one hell of a fun ride. Now  my ticker is in need of
repairs it will get in 10 days or so, and I'm running in econo-cruise
mode with a few stents till then.

Cheers everybody, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis