[Coco] Second eyes needed for C to ASM ABI strangeness.

lost lost at l-w.ca
Wed Oct 23 02:38:59 EDT 2019

Looks like you may have an issue with value sizes and maybe endianness. You haven't included enough information though. We need to know what you declared the functions as. Particularly the return types. If you haven't declared the asm one, its return type will default to int which is probably half the size of long. Depending on endianness and calling convention that could mean the high order bits are saved in the variable instead of the low order bits. The other cases may only be working properly accidentally due to an accident of register allocation or something.
-------- Original message --------From: Walter Zambotti <zambotti at iinet.net.au> Date: 2019-10-23  00:13  (GMT-07:00) To: 'CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts' <coco at maltedmedia.com> Subject: [Coco] Second eyes needed for C to ASM ABI strangeness. In following code where I call two shift functions. One written in C and theother in assembly (both functions not shown): long val, val1, val2;short shft;   printf("%ld %ld\n", shift(val, shft), shiftasm(val, shft));  val1 = shift(val, shft);  val2 = shiftasm(val, shft);  printf("%ld %ld\n", val1, val2); where val = 1 and shft = 1; outputs the following: 2 22 0 If I change: val2 = shiftasm(val, shft); to: val2 = 0 + shiftasm(val, shft); Then the output is: 2 22 2 Which is now correct. It appears I cannot directly assign the output of my asm function directlyto a variable without having some sort of temporary expression such as "0 +"or passed to another function such as printf. So I'm not sure what the C to asm ABI should be! Any ideas? Walter  -- Coco mailing listCoco at maltedmedia.comhttps://pairlist5.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/coco