[Coco] attr has me stumped

Walter Zambotti zambotti at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 22 20:25:53 EDT 2019

That's not clear to me!!!

attr filename [<opts>] [<perms>}

Where '-perm', 'perm' & '-a' are given as options implies there is a -perm and perm option that would be literally typed.  Like so:

attr examplefile -perm e pe

An option is only an option if it is an arg that you could actually be typed/entered.

However there is no '-perm' or 'perm' option so I don't understand the notation!!!

The only available option is '-a' which has been placed in between '-perm'/'perm' and the permissions themselves.

What I believe they are trying to say is -perm and perm is a permission from the permission list with or without a sign (the sign controlling set or unset) but that is not how it reads.

I think it would be clearer like this:

Syntax: Attr filename [<opts>] [<perms>]
Usage : Examine or change the security permissions of a file
Opts  :
   -a = inhibit printing of attrs after change Perms :
Perms :
   -<perm> = turn off specified permission
    <perm> = turn on specified permission   d - directory file
Where perm is:
   s - non-sharable file
   r - read permit to owner
   w - write permit to owner
   e - execute permit to owner
   pr - read permit to public
   pw - write permit to public
   pe - execute permit to public

Anyway I'm getting old and ranty!

Walter

Maybe I have a different help message but it seems very clear to me.

Syntax: Attr filename [<opts>] [<perms>] Usage : Examine or change the security permissions of a file Opts  :
   -perm = turn off specified permission
    perm = turn on specified permission
   -a = inhibit printing of attrs after change Perms :
   d - directory file
   s - non-sharable file
   r - read permit to owner
   w - write permit to owner
   e - execute permit to owner
   pr - read permit to public
   pw - write permit to public
   pe - execute permit to public

"Perm" is defined by a list. Clearly you don't use "perm" itself but must pick an item from the list of permission types.

Robert