[Coco] Devastated. Long term OVCC project falls short

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Mon Oct 21 02:27:36 EDT 2019

On 2019-10-20 11:50 p.m., Gene Heskett wrote:
>> gcc6809 cannot generate OS9 binaries. Its support for position
>> independent code is largely untested and almost certainly incomplete
>> and it doesn't understand the specific requirements of the OS9
>> environment.
> I can confirm that too, its a total waste of time to attempt an os9
> binary because of that problem using gcc6809. It knows nothing about
> PIC. AFAIAC it should be removed from circulation.

That last bit is going a bit far. Remember that not everything is OS9.
In fact, I would go so far as to say that the *majority* of stuff is not
OS9, however much a non-trivial fraction of the Coco community wishes
otherwise. (That's not a criticism of OS9 or the folks who support it.)

Obviously, you shouldn't try to use a tool for a purpose it is unsuited
for. Thus, gcc6809 should not (and cannot, in fact) be used for making
OS9 binaries. It is simply not suited for that purpose. That doesn't
mean it should be removed from circulation. It *is* perfectly suitable
for other purposes.