[Coco] Devastated. Long term OVCC project falls short

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Fri Oct 4 16:29:43 EDT 2019

William Astle Wrote:
> ... see thread ...

Those are all good points and I don’t disagree.  However, I remain skeptical that the inner workings of Windows –vs— Linux could account for such a huge difference on otherwise identical native assembly language code and (even though he doesn’t say, but I am going to guess) identical processors. Of course that does not mean it couldn’t happen!! :)

Maybe 10% to 15% difference for the reasons you bring up.  But up to 50% … I’m skeptical, that is all I am saying.

> ... the above are actually good arguments for letting compilers
> figure out how to order instructions on modern CPUs. Or choose which
> instructions to use for that matter.

Other than for fun or a challenge (or one is actually writing a compiler) then, YES, I definitely agree!

james