[Coco] Modules Os9 Level 2

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Nov 10 19:10:13 EST 2019

Phil,

Your message is not very clear but I think you are asking the following:

1) Where are the commands and modules necessary to work with Drivewire?
If you download the appropriate disk images from
https://nitros9.sourceforge.io/snapshot/
for the model Coco you are using, the necessary commands and modules will be in the image. For example:
Coco3 6809 Nitros9 Level2 use
https://nitros9.sourceforge.io/snapshot/NOS9_6809_L2_v030300_coco3_dw.dsk
Coco3 6309 Level2 use
https://nitros9.sourceforge.io/snapshot/NOS9_6309_L2_v030300_coco3_dw.dsk

2) SSPAK has the following information in the source code:
* SSPak - Speech-Sound Pak Text-To-Speech Driver
*
* $Id$
*
* by Bruce Isted (CIS 76625,2273)
* released to the Public Domain 87/05/03
*
*    This driver supports only the Speech-Sound Pak's text-to-speech mode.
* Bit 7 is cleared and control codes are filtered to ensure that only carriage
* returns and characters in the range of $20-$7F (inclusive) are passed.  A
* character count and automatic buffer flush is used, which should prevent
* buffer overflow in the Speech-Sound Pak.
*
*    Due to way the COCO's sound select circuitry is tied in with other sound
* sources and the joysticks, only one will function at a time.  This means
* that while the Speech-Sound Pak is active other sound sources and/or the
* joysticks cannot be used.  Speech output is enabled only when a carriage
* return is received, or when the buffer is flushed.  Speech output is
* disabled as soon as the Speech-Sound Pak is finished speaking the string
* received before the carriage return or buffer flush.
*

So you will need the Speech Sound cartridge and the manual to see how to use the device. You can get
a copy of the various manuals here:
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Documents/Manuals/Hardware/

3) You have not indicated where you obtained your hd0 so there is no way to tell whether it contains
the modules you want. Presumably they are the ones needed to use Drivewire. If so, look for at
least: rbdw, dwio, X0, X1, X2, X3.
Any vhd intended for use with Drivewire should have the above in memory after Boot and can be shown
with the mdir command. The actual modules will be the OS9Boot file and can be seen with the command:
ident OS9Boot

Robert