[Coco] Modern display options for CoCo2?

Brendan Donahe brendan at polylith.com
Sat Nov 9 17:41:06 EST 2019

Rich,

You have several options when it comes to your CoCo 2.

 At least some of my CRT and LCD TVs still support using analog channel 3
or 4.  When I want to display my CoCo 2 on one of those, I ditch the old
TV/game switchbox and use a direct connection between the CoCo and the
antenna input on the TV.  You can either use something like this (
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4130&gclid=CjwKCAiA5JnuBRA-EiwA-0ggPcLLtEKdHw2WV-0IVgU4GFW73AhB4GLtX-XkVIVANiJShNMYzLrWMBoC3OUQAvD_BwE)
with a male-to-male co-ax cable, or you can use (
https://www.sfcable.com/f-type-male-to-rca-jack-adapter.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA5JnuBRA-EiwA-0ggPcTzphKPXYC8nP3an6ojoU5UwAj-5ftfxun5ABmhSOD4IjK6XDEb5RoCi8QQAvD_BwE)
with ideally a shielded make-to-male RCA cable.

Some composite adapters have been made available by Ed Snider which require
desoldering your RF modulator but produce really nice output.  I don't know
if he has any on-hand at the moment:
https://thezippsterzone.com/2018/10/28/coco2-composite-a-v-modulator-replacements/
You could also use some online schematics to roll-your-own if you're so
inclined.

Lastly, depending on what type of CoCo 2 you have, I may have some CoCoVGA
adapters available.  (CoCoVGA is intended only for use in the CoCo 1 and 2,
because it plugs in where the 6847 video display generator chip is
connected.  It is incompatible with the CoCo 3's GIME.)  They are $95 plus
shipping.  You can email me at info at cocovga.com if you want to know more.

Thanks,
Brendan