[Coco] lets play canyon climber from floppy disk ( 8 inch floppy disk)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Nov 6 14:20:55 EST 2019

On Wednesday 06 November 2019 10:06:20 Salvador Garcia via Coco wrote:

>  Hello, I shared your video and it garnered some interest. One guy is
> asking about the 8" drives. What type/brand/model are they? Thanks!
> Salvador

Most of those that I have seen, showing up as surplus, and useable in our
character generator at the tv station would have worked, but watch the
special bits in the descriptor, you may be double stepping them, which
would cut their capacity in half.  Some experimentation may be in order
IOW.  The surplus models were all narrow track, but the controller in
the CG was hard coded for the wider tracks. Theoretically, we had lots
of unused space between the tracks.

These drives are famous for collapsed rosettes, do not leave them closed
when not in use.

If the nylon disk that centers the disk as the clamp lever is left
closed, the rosette petals collapse inward with old age, making it easy
to clamp the disk half a track off center, and that reduces the clamping
pressure allowing the disk to slow or even stop if the envelopes
lubrication is drying out.  I even made a jig I could put the rosette in
and push it back the other way for a week or so.  That worked for 6
months or so, but wasn't the ideal fix. What is called cold flow is a
bitch to predict.

We had for a long time, at least 15 years, an IBM System 360 that had 8"
drives, but as long as the slider rods were oiled 2x annually, never
gave me a spec of trouble.  I used to gig the GM that my office coco3
had more memory, and many times the non-volatile storage that the
stations traffic computer, which since it processed and sent the
billing, kept the cash cow fed.  He was basically a salesman, so I think
he was hearing swahili. He did get upset when he found I had the
authority to shut down a contest idea he had as it was just another
payola scheme, with a $27,500 dollar a day fine from the federal candy
company.