[Coco] Someones bots are abusing my downloads

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Nov 1 17:02:46 EDT 2019

On Friday 01 November 2019 13:49:55 Ken Flanagan wrote:

> On Fri., Nov. 1, 2019, 10:35 a.m. Gene Heskett, <gheskett at shentel.net>
>
> wrote:
> > They ae not just indexing my place, they were sucking the whole
> > thing, one file at a time and keeping my 250 kilobaud uplink
> > bandwidth full for the last 4 or so hours.  That a DDOS AFAIAC. Kill
> > them on sight. Here is typical log entry:
> >
> > coyote.coyote.den:80 46.229.168.141 - -
> > [01/Nov/2019:13:33:16 -0400] "GET
> > /gene/nitros9/3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/doc/uucp.man
> > HTTP/1.1" 200 3142 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; SemrushBot/6~bl;
> > +http://www.semrush.com/bot.html)"
>
> Do you have a robots.txt file on your server? If you do and they're
> ignoring it, I would suggest contacting the respective companies.

I think they will get a stronger message if they look at their logs and
see them blossoming with access denied messages, about 30 copies of a
robots,.txt as I added their addy's in CIDR form to my hosts.deny file.
I'm still logging the requests for a file, at random intervals of about
a minute, but they aren't getting them.

Thanks Ken.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)