[Coco] Someones bots are abusing my downloads

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Nov 1 13:35:38 EDT 2019

On Friday 01 November 2019 12:56:46 William Astle wrote:

> Both of those are search engines.

They ae not just indexing my place, they were sucking the whole thing,
one file at a time and keeping my 250 kilobaud uplink bandwidth full for
the last 4 or so hours.  That a DDOS AFAIAC. Kill them on sight.
Here is typical log entry:

coyote.coyote.den:80 46.229.168.141 - -
[01/Nov/2019:13:33:16 -0400] "GET /gene/nitros9/3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/doc/uucp.man
HTTP/1.1" 200 3142 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; SemrushBot/6~bl;
+http://www.semrush.com/bot.html)"

> On 2019-11-01 10:52 a.m., Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > Sorry if I interrupted someones download just now, but a couple web
> > bots have been copying my nitros9 stuff at weekly intervals. I got
> > tired of wondering when they would finish, but after several hours I
> > restarted apache2.
> >
> > If one of you are the cause of this, I have no objections to
> > sharing, but to image my whole web page on a weekly basis is abuse.
> > Someone has been doing that for several months.
> >
> > The easily identifiable sources today seem to be
> > http://yandex.com/bots, and http://www.semrush.com/bot.html.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)