[Coco] CoCo's TIMER and 60hz

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Thu May 30 18:36:07 EDT 2019

But as Gene said, maintaining the accuracy of the device that’s in the cartridge would be the problem. I like his idea of tuning to WWV at 10 MHz though but I don’t think anyone a) cares enough about the issue, b) would spend the time and money to design it.

In reality, one of the more accurate timebases is the 60 Hz AC that is in your house. The utilities keep it pretty much dead on. I’m assuming one of the reasons for this is that in years past most clocks were mechanical and used synchronous motors. It’s too bad that the CoCo didn’t have a simple circuit to count the zero crossings on the AC. It would have kept a more accurate soft clock than most crystal-based oscillators.

Dave