[Coco] Fresh new retro computing article!

linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Tue May 28 22:52:15 EDT 2019

"I don't see Joey's posts. Were they removed or am I missing something?"How hard did you look? It's about the fifth comment down the list...Honestly, you seem to be misreading the record. "Brock" was banned for dishonesty and apparent trolling, not for any comment either for or against anyone's product."This whole debate is bizarre. It's anti-competitive, anti-american, andanti-user. This desire to control everyone else's actions needs to stop."What needs to stop is the presumptuous sactimony... John
-------- Original message --------From: Eric <eric at canales.me> Date: 5/28/19  10:24 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com> Subject: Re: [Coco] Fresh new retro computing article! For anyone sick of hearing on this subject, I suggest setting up a filter.There were follow up answers to my questions and I intend to respond tothem. I think this is a good thread for the community as I feel it is timewe clear the air and maybe move forward as a community. Feelings were hurtat this last Fest and I don't want to see it happen next year. Now maybe Idon't have much of a say on the matter but I'll say it anyway.> In particular, check the thread under the top-level comment by JoeyBuckets...I don't see Joey's posts. Were they removed or am I missing something?>Brock Harrison literally says "Richard Lorbieski wanted me to join andcomment".> A bit later, Richard Lorbieski says "I have no clue who this person is".It's my understanding through hearsay that Richard at the time honestly didnot know who he was. Was not expecting any discussion on the subject. Andeven if he did, I still fail to see the relevance. Richard is a seller ofhardware. Who cares where it comes from, who discusses it, how it'smanufactured, or anything else about it for that matter. He has a store, hesomehow manufactures it, and he sells it. Get over it. Nobody cares howCloud 9's stuff is manufactured. I have never even once ever heard anyoneask if Mark designed his products himself or anything about that. The onlyperson from whom I've ever heard discuss the manufacturing process is Markhimself.> Banning Brock was not censorship in any way.You banned him, questioned who he is, and invented conspiracy theoriesaround him. It's no wonder he's trying to remain anonymous. He wascensored. If you don't believe that, you simply don't know the definitionof the word censor. He still appears to be censored even though the onlycomments I saw were about the hardware itself. As far as what I've seen,he's been banned for discussing hardware that competes with Mark's hardware.> It was suggested to him he could undo the ban if he wished.And what criteria does he need to provide? Blood sample? Photographic ID? Asincere apology?This whole debate is bizarre. It's anti-competitive, anti-american, andanti-user. This desire to control everyone else's actions needs to stop.Lastly, to accuse Stevie of being Brock is on it's face absurd. The onlyway it could be done is if Stevie copy/pasted what Richard wrote, andRichard I have no doubt is perfectly capable of himself writing a responseto Mark's claims. And in fact it appears he did, with his own chart.Lastly I just want to make it clear that I truly respect Mark Marlette.He's stayed out of all of this and for that I can't blame him at all. Thereare some that are angry at what Mark is (presumably) doing. My belief isthat this is caused by his keeping quiet. People are asking, "Where doesMark stand on competition?", "Why hasn't Mark delivered on this or thatproduct he promised?", "Does Boisy speak for Mark?" They're not asking him,they're just asking it and wishing he would involve himself somehow. Ican't blame him for wanting to stay out of it, and I'm not asking thesequestions of him. I think just like Richard, Mark has no obligation todeliver anything to any of you. He does this because he is good at it, andbecause he enjoys it. Both he and Richard enjoy this hobby. On that samenote, nobody is paying Stevie or the CoCoCrew to make their shows. (Well okthere are some payments changing hands, like patreons or adverts orwhatever, but you get what I mean!)Meeting Mark and seeing the Cloud-9 booth was one of the hallmark's of myfirst CoCo fest just a couple of years ago. It might sound silly, but I'vespent years checking his website (even when I didn't have a CoCo) just tosee what he was selling and how much he was charging for a shiny trickedout CoCo3. Seeing him in person and everyone else I had heard about onlinereally cemented the system in my mind as the best retro platform to workon!!I'm not going to pick sides. I'm not going to pick the either CoCoCrewpodcast or the CoCoTalk web show. I'm not going to pick the eitherBoomerang or the Triad+. I'm not going to pick the left or the right. Wecan have it both ways. We can enjoy everything the community has to offer.-- Coco mailing listCoco at maltedmedia.comhttps://pairlist5.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/coco