[Coco] Access to OVCC source

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Tue May 28 12:53:06 EDT 2019

Walter Zambotti wrote:

> So I need to make it public!

Good deal, Walter!

> I'm just not sure what the ramifications of that are.

As others have pointed out already ... unless you give admin privileges and/or push access to others, you have  control of the "master" branch (and any other branches you create) of the project.

The public then have two ways to get the code. They can download the code outright and unzip to their computer or fork the code and "pull" it down to their local computer in preparation to collaborate.

If they are going to collaborate, the idea is that they work on their own fork of the project (or perhaps even preferably a new temporary branch of their own fork). They work locally committing changes, etc.. until they are done w/ the modification. Then they "push" their changes back onto their fork on GitHub and then they can make an official "pull-request" -- which you would see and be able to look over. You could then accept it, or ask them to make further changes, and resubmit ... or deny it completely and delete the request.   Once accepted into the master, then the temporary development branch (if one was created) can be deleted.

> Ultimately I would like everyone to have view access but only allow
> collaborators to have modify access.

I am pretty sure that is the default.

I am still learning git / github -- so if I have the described the process incorrectly someone please point it out. Perhaps, if can find the time I will create "cheat-sheet" of the process. -- if someone else can get to it first then please, by all means do it!!

James