[Coco] Fresh new retro computing article!

D. Bruce Moore bruce at gracenote.ca
Tue May 28 08:54:03 EDT 2019

> Part of the Discord discussion were pointed and specific questions about my stance from D. Bruce Moore, which I tried to answer to the best of my ability. Looking back on it, I’m not sure if this was an honest attempt to get clarification on my views or a coordinated attempt to catch me in an inconsistency in order to discredit me and my article.

It is pretty much impossible to respond to an allegation of collusion.  If I, or anyone, were colluding to discredit a party a public denial would be expected. So the fact that I am now saying there is * no such thing happening on my part * I expect to be met with skepticism.

But I will say this: the public comment accusing Boisy of “a very cleverly crafted wrapper of deceit” is, in my opinion, out-of-line.

Some weeks back Boisy announced his intention to write a paper on the topic.  My approach in examining this paper was one of “peer review”.  Test the arguments, test the logic.  Instead of dismissing the piece as biased nonsense, see if it logically hangs together.  Ask questions of the author for clarification.  The piece should stand or fall based on the merit of it’s  arguments was my thinking.

Well, it would seem that I misstepped in my engagement and now I am being accused of dirty tricks.

There are many allegations of deceit flying around in the Community right now. Some overtly hostile, some passive aggressive. I have tried to help balance the extremes with limited success. However, the level of toxicity on all quarters has risen to the point that I need to get out.  I will be suspending my Community involvement immediately and indefinitely.

D. Bruce Moore