[Coco] Found strangeness in C compiler (bug)

Walter Zambotti zambotti at iinet.net.au
Mon May 27 21:43:11 EDT 2019

Joel

Your code assumes integer not double. But aside from that...

My understanding from K&R is the right hand expression of the "=" is evaluated  before the left hand side and visa-versa the left hand side is evaluated last.

So everything on the right hand side is evaluated before the assignment on the left as there is no value in assigning the result before it is calculated.

So if the right hand side contained a div by 0 for instance the left hand side would never be done.

So

*a++ = b / c; //where c = 0

Should never increment 'a' ever because an exception occurs before there is a chance to perform the assignment.

Walter