[Coco] Off Topic: FM16W08-SH DIP part?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Fri May 24 22:15:25 EDT 2019

On 5/24/19 4:27 PM, coco-request at maltedmedia.com wrote:

> Re: [Coco] Off Topic: FM16W08-SH DIP part?

I know you don't know the answer to this, Allen - but if it were for an
Arduino project, why would you choose something like this that is fairly
expensive and somewhat obscure, vs common and cheap flash memory?

The only answer I could think of would be you wanted something that
could retain the data without needing a battery, and you needed the
speed of the device as well (I think flash is slower?). Plus - you
needed something small (low RAM) - and money wasn't an issue.

Did you have a project like that in mind? Something you needed a small
but fast amount of non-volatile RAM that could keep its contents without
power? Maybe for a buffer? Perhaps for a logic analyzer or some similar
tool? 8K in a ring buffer for signal capture would be kinda nice. Maybe
the non-volatility was a feature; you didn't need it, but it eliminated
the need to design and build (or the extra pin(s) from the Arduino) a
refresh circuit?

Just throwing some stuff out there trying to jog the nog!

If that doesn't work, make a note of it, put it wherever, and maybe
it'll come to you when you least expect it. Heck, for all you know it
was something that fell out of a box as a "bonus" (you know how you
sometimes get an extra french fry with your order of onion rings?
something like that!).

--
Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona