[Coco] Bit-Banger Serial as external console?

Stephen Pereira stephen.m.pereira.sr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 16:01:03 EDT 2019

Hi Dave,

I took this off the CoCo list because it is definitely not associated with the original thread of using the Bit-Banger SIO port for a remote terminal…

You seem to still be ignoring the documentation that I provided with the modified Color Forth.  I provided a Memory Map for your reference.  In the Memory Map, you will see there is about 5K of dictionary space from $43A0 to $5800.  The 8 screen buffers (8K) sit between $2380 and $43A0, and the Return Stack and TIB are under that at $2280 to $2380 Finally, the Data Stack and the User Variables lie between $20AA and $2280.

It’s all a tight squeeze to get it all in the lower 32K along with the CoCo DECB system.

I fear that you are using up all of something there in memory when you do that giant ALLOT, but since I’m not a Forth architect, I cannot say what.  Hopefully, the Memory Map will help you to determine the limits of what you are trying to do.

If I could get a solid remote terminal facility working, I could free up the 8K currently used by the 8 screen buffers, and Forth source code could be loaded from the remote terminal.  That could make for a much more comfortable programming environment, for sure.

Good luck!

smp
- - -
Stephen Pereira