[Coco] Climax C Compiler setup

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Mar 24 07:54:26 EDT 2019

On Sunday 24 March 2019 02:45:43 Walter wrote:

> Missing header files <string.h> & <memory.h>.
>
> I can't recompile c_prep because there are includes to non-existent
> header files.
>
> These don’t seem to be on the Climax CoCo C Compiler disk.
>
> Anyone know where they might be?
There's a sting.h in the toolshed and
memory.h is in 3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/src/header/memory.h
string.h is in 3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/src/header/string.h

What they are doing there, or how they got there I have no clue. Not even
if they are the correct files.

I have the os9 "find" looking for string.h on my coco3's main hard drive.
Thats a nearly 500 meg partition so it will take a while. So far its
found 4 copies in the dsaved copy of my old maxtor drive I made on the
seagate its searching. That only took 2 or 3 minutes.

And apparently I've either not run the c compiler since the maxtor was
the main drive, at least a decade back, or I've done it while cd'd to
the maxtor subdir. I ought to be ashamed of myself.

{t2|08}/DD:find string.h /dd
string.h found in /DD/MAXTOR/C.SRC/C.COMP1
string.h found in /DD/MAXTOR/C.SRC/KREIDER.L
string.h found in /DD/MAXTOR/DEFS/OLDDEFS
string.h found in /DD/MAXTOR/DEFS
STRING.H found in /DD/MAXTOR/OS9LIB/DEFS

It looks like memory.h is going to be in that same set of locations,
{t2|08}/DD:find memory.h /dd
memory.h found in /DD/MAXTOR/C.SRC/C.COMP1
memory.h found in /DD/MAXTOR/C.SRC/KREIDER.L
memory.h found in /DD/MAXTOR/DEFS/OLDDEFS
memory.h found in /DD/MAXTOR/DEFS

here is string.h
{t2|08}/DD:list /dd/maxtor/c.src/c.comp1/string.h
char  *strcat();
char  *strncat();
char  *strhcpy();
char  *strcpy();
char  *strncpy();
char  *strclr();
char  *strucat();
char  *strucpy();
char  *index();
char  *rindex();
char  *reverse();
char  *strend();
int   strcmp();
int   strncmp();
int   strlen();
int   strucmp();
int   strnucmp();
int   patmatch();
char  *strchr();
char  *strrchr();
char  *strspn();
char  *strcspn()
char  *strtok();
char  *strpbrk();
EOF

And here is memory.h
{t2|08}/DD/MAXTOR/C.SRC/C.COMP1:list memory.h
char    *memccpy();
char    *memchr();
int     memcmp();
char    *memcpy();
char    *memset();
EOF

I just checked, the kreider.l versions are identical in both cases.
You should be able to copy/paste these (without the EOF obviously)
into your own files and put them wherever needed by your compiler
environment.

I hope this helps.

> Walter

And TBT, its something I should have caught and fixed in c.prep_19.
My apologies. ISTR I always had a cr for the last character of anything I
ever wrote. IMO thats just good housekeeping and everyone should just do
it. However _19 is not now the last version extant so maybe its
something that has crept in since. It never came to my attention before,
so IDK.

IMO, we've been a bit negligent in not corralling this stuff so its a
known part of the c compiler. IMO it all belongs in /DD/DEFS/INCLUDES,
but we've never enforced it. Now its biteing us. Or Walter at least. ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)