[Coco] EZGen Question

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Mar 18 19:15:31 EDT 2019

On Monday 18 March 2019 15:48:22 rcrislip wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:48:01 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Mark Marlette <mmarlette at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> > Curtis,
> > This needs to be a jeopardy question at CoCoFEST! :)
> >
> > This is the first, you remember everything! :)
> >
> > Thanks for the response. That is two, I **think** it did...... :)
> > Regards,
> > Mark Marlette
> > http://www.cloud9tech.com
> > mark at cloud9tech.com
> > mark at gamecamaddict.com
> >
> > On Monday, March 18, 2019, 12:58:44 PM CDT, L. Curtis Boyle
> > <curtisboyle at sasktel.net> wrote:
> >
> > I *think* it did, but I don’t remember for sure, either (Kwikgen is
> > the proper spelling). While I work on multi-cluster drives (with the
> > version 2 of Glendside’s IDE drivers), I think I might have done
> > those tests on secondary drives (ie not the boot drive), so I may
> > not have tested that at the time.
> >
> > L. Curtis Boylecurtisboyle at sasktel.net
> >
> > > On Mar 18, 2019, at 10:18 AM, Mark Marlette
> > > <mmarlette at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Bill,
> > > I believe Quikgen or KwikGen(??) did......backup first... :)
> > > I remember more what didn't work due to the work involved to
> > > restore. L. Curtis B. would know for sure. Curtis??????
> > > Regards,
> > > Mark Marlette
> > > http://www.cloud9tech.com
> > > mark at cloud9tech.com
> > > mark at gamecamaddict.com
> > >
> > >    On Monday, March 18, 2019, 10:19:57 AM CDT, Bill Pierce via
> > > Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Mark, do you remember if Quikgen handle the multi clusters or not?
> > > It seems like someone said it did.
>
> Thanks to all who answered my question. I found a PDF copy of the
> EXGen doc on my... are you ready for this?... Jaz drive. Read it and
> thought this seems easy enough, but looking at the dates made me
> nervous about using it on Nitros. If I understand the answers
> correctly, it will work as long as the sectors are only one cluster.
> Any other size and I in a cluster f**k 8-)

I'm sitting here, doing my damndest to think of how kwikgen or its ilk
could possibly trash a filesystem since those patches are self-contained
in rbf.  And the only way would be for it to do its own disk allocation
map edits for track 34, or for the root directory on track 0. In either
event, the filesystem should do it right. There are calls in the kernel
which do assume a cluster of 1 but they are not intended for customer
usage.  Thats why I said they should be dissed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)