[Coco] EZGen Question

Mark Marlette mmarlette at frontiernet.net
Mon Mar 18 10:21:04 EDT 2019

Gene,
Bill is correct, try it again, refresh the memory. :)
Have a backup first, it will be corrupt.
There is no question if it will occur, just when you try it.
This was true with all B&B utils for OS-9.
At the time I am sure Chris never thought there would be anything else ever on the CoCo that would need a cluster size >1.
Regards,
Mark Marlette
 http://www.cloud9tech.com
mark at cloud9tech.com
mark at gamecamaddict.com

    On Monday, March 18, 2019, 9:16:09 AM CDT, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:

 On Monday 18 March 2019 07:35:29 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> ezgen works as long as you're working with single cluster size sector
> allocation. If you are using mutiple cluster sizes (i.e.
> drives/partitions larger than 128meg) then ezgen will trash the drive.

First I've heard of that, Bill. Has it happened to you?  I haven't used
it in yonks but don't think I've used it on anything but cluster=1
floppies either. Both of my HD's are multisector clusters, one at 4, the
other at 16.  And I have used both in odd ways before I got drivewire
working, like sz'ing a nitros9 floppy image as a file to either drive,
locating where it was on the hard drive, fixing a descriptor with that
offset but otherwise copied from a std floppy, and running that
descriptor as a floppy to put a new install of nitros9 on my main
partition.

>From my now ancient memory, when I put the multisector cluster stuff back
into rbf after Kevin Darling so helpfully removed it as one of his
so-called "Christmas Presents", all my testing was on floppies formatted
to up to 64 sector clusters. I figured that was far enough as that
carried us well past the 4Gb mark. And the code did not need any fixes
during the testing, it Just Worked.  So I /think/ that code is
bulletproof.

If ezgen can manage to screw that up, maybe ezgen should be dissed and
looked at?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)