[Coco] Got a DUMB QUESTION???

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Jun 29 03:49:44 EDT 2019

On Saturday 29 June 2019 03:07:16 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 29 June 2019 01:36:04 L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
> > It does NOT require an MPI. It even has a Mini Bus connector inside
> > of it, that Disto sold multiple cards for (the maximum functionality
> > was the 4 in 1 board, which added a hardware serial port, parallel
> > port, SASI hard drive interface, and a real time clock, if I
> > remember correctly).
>
> Thats close, but without the mpi, it (the 4n1 version) will need a 12
> volt wall wart plugged into a jack in its edge as the serial port
> can't get it from the coco3. I never bothered with it as I've an mpi,
> which can supply that voltage.

I should add that on a coco3, because its double clock speed, pretty well
renders the parport worthless unless one wants to design a buffer which
will hold the data true long enough for it to get thru the FCC mandated
input filtering in most printers parallel inputs, which need valid data
and strobe timings in the 2  microsecond territory. At the coco3 clock
speeds you will miss characters about 20% of the time. I don't think
that FCC rule existed at the time Tony designed the 4n1. Since the
Canadian DOC usually followed the US in things like that, but with a few
months delay, Tony didn't try to please with that design.

What may have worked but I never got around to trying it, might have been
to halt the cpu when the strobe went true with the e-clock, and cancel
the halt with the printers ack. But I didn't follow up and see how that
would have affected os9. I don't believe any of the halts would have
affected dram refresh long enough to matter.