[Coco] Floppy format questions

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Mon Jun 17 15:37:56 EDT 2019

On 6/17/19 1:33 PM, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
> OS9 had the option of track 0 being single density (so that a single density drive could read it, to get the floppy specs from LSN0), and the rest could be double density. In the Coco’s case, both were always double density.
> Is that what you meant?

Yes, that's it. I have a bunch of disks. Some of my own making with
really odd geometries. I'm trying to first get some OS9 boot disks
working (or NitrOS9 boot disks) working on the Gotek device. Then
attempt to recover the floppies (this will be fun, I think I had as
many as 8 drives on a chain at one point). I also have some other
format disks (Flex or StarDOS). Those will be next on the list to
read.Once I get all that done I can switch it Drivewire and the
Gotek.

The reason for all this is I need to service the drives before I
read the disks. I may have been visited by a few mice whole took
up shelter with the drives. The disks were accidentally kept in
the back of a closet in the normal section of the house. The Atari
800 disks seemed to have faired very well. I expect the OS9 disks
to be in similar shape. Though the Original RS OS9 disk label does
look a bit old. ;-)

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com