[Coco] NitrOS9 and 6309 code

Stephen Fischer SFischer1 at Mindspring.com
Mon Jun 10 20:36:47 EDT 2019

If in fact the current default Shell is ~ the size of other shells, then
I will shut up. As the shell I found in the NitrOS-9 version that I was
trying (And failing) to use to test Watch is Shell 2.2a, someone heard
my complaints and got rid to the 50% Shell never saying anything where I
would see.

I cannot find the NitrOS-9 version that has the 50% shell quickly,
remember that it likely was the version of NitrOS-9 offered on the VCC
original webpage on http://www.coco4.com/ .

I don't have the time and it would be of no value to discover the
version of NitrOS-09 that has the 50% shell as no one should be seeing
it today. Shutting up.

Having said that, the customize files for Shellplus, have they been
recreated and if so where are they.

The ShellPlus features need to be tested one by one and perhaps better
explanations created.

I offer for the testing my ShellSub module VDIR. Once you read the
documentation most people will say how can I use NitrOS-9 without it.

ftp://RTSI.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/APPS/VDir.lzh

I don't know who wrote the original Shell, but Shellplus 2.1 has:

Some of the enhancements in Shell+ came either directly from or were
derived from existing utilities. The ones I can remember are :

Goto - Kevin Darling
Z= - from GPERE by Kent Meyers
Wildcards - Simmule Turner
NOBLOCK - Kent Meyers
Logging - Karl Krieder

Shell+ Release 1.0 by Kent Meyers
Shell+ Release 1.1 by Kent Meyers,Kevin Darling,Ron Lammardo

V2.0 additions/changes authors may in the Delphi file I downloaded. Back
then files had one line descriptions and long descriptions, now just
file names in nested folders is all we have.
-------------------------------------

As to the source, the place I suggested that we look was on the hard
disk Kevin Darling gave to Brother Jeremy.

That chance has been lost as Brother Jeremy is in England and the hard
disk in a landfill in the USA.

On 6/10/2019 4:28 AM, Allen Huffman wrote:
>> On Jun 9, 2019, at 10:51 PM, Stephen Fischer <SFischer1 at Mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> There are many other changes beyond the shell that broke my work. Many are changes for the good.
>
> It would be helpful to know what was broken. Since I still have 2.1 through 2.2a on my system, and all old versions are still as available today as they were back then (when you had to download them and add them to stock OS-9), I don’t see what changed beyond what comes in “new stock.”

It is broken not by shellplus, but the *colors.s 89/01/31  script I see
no way to make work.

http://home.mindspring.com/~sfischer666/

> At what point did you notice the size of Shell shrinking? From what I can see (-1995, 2015-) the shell has continually increased in size.
>
>> Still I still would like to look at the original source code to see if there was a simple way to pass parameters to scripts converted using the datamod program. That was the biggest shortcoming which has stuck in my mind.
>
> Having sources would be useful. Who wrote the original?
>
> Does Shell+ have the ability to read configs from a startup file (like .profile or .login and such)?

The reserved word 'S.T.A.R.T.U.P' will cause the shell to attempt running a
file called 'startup' in the CURRENT directory.

>> I would like someone besides Allen to check the size of the NitrOS-9 shell in the latest version and to compare with the shellplus 2.2a that was also distributed. If I was doing anything useful I would change away from the 50% sized shell for sure.
>
> What size is the one you have?
>
> 		— A

SHF