[Coco] CoCo 3 modern monitor solutions

CoCo Demus retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 19:51:56 EDT 2019

A decent cheap solution available is a SCART to HDMI converter:

https://www.newegg.com/p/0X6-0024-001U2?Item=9SIAHV391U6817&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-Electronic%20flagship%20store-_-Cables%20-%20HDMI%20Cables-_-9SIAHV391U6817&gclid=CKTT4_m-2OICFYSg7AodLiwIcQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

But you need to craft a bulky rgb to scart cable and provide +12v on it. I
made a generic one myself where I placed a female vga conector on it so I
can use any computer. I have a sega-genesis on it and it works very well.
It requires an extra wall-wart for the +12V though. This will accept any
computer, including PAL Amigas.

The only downside is that it will de-interlace the video instead of
rendering in 240p native, it uses 480i instead. This would not be a problem
for the Coco, but the sega-genesis, especially fast-switching larger
sprites (like invincibility flashing) you would see it de-interlaced (odd
lines first, even later).

But that's ok, the image is fantastic and you can connect in any modern
HDMI TV. It even works with the infamous Sonic 2 co-op mode (480i) that
even the expensive Framemeister does not handle it correct.

I am not a skilled cable-maker, mine looks meh. Anyone who is a crafted
cable assembler could make a coco-to-scart and sell them. I'd probably buy
one.

Felipe.