[Coco] OS-9 on Raspberry Pi

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jun 6 08:09:27 EDT 2019

On Thursday 06 June 2019 07:22:32 am Francis Swygert wrote:

> The main port is for the Pi Zero W right now, which is a single core
> ARM. It's a very small unit, but is reasonably capable -- should be
> comparable to running on a CoCo, I suspect a bit faster than that!
> Porting to the Pi 3B+ would be more suitable to running a GUI and
> using it as a modern desktop computer.

The pi3b is crippled by the memory, only a gigabyte of dram, but it still
defends itself in the desktop arena, and is doing it at my place while
also running linuxcnc to drive a 70 some yo Sheldon metal lathe, doing
things that lathe could not do the year it was born, to an accuracy of
around .0001".  Things like rigid tapping, compound curves, and is doing
all that without a compound on the carriage, which has been replaced
with a solid cast iron casting. Because linuxcnc can drive both
directions, mathematically locked including to the spindles rotational
position, without any gears, at any angle, the compound can be removed
as linuxcnc can do that to micron accuracy.

The pi's can do that fairly easily that I've added probably 500 lines to
its .hal file while giving me a far more informative GUI and the ability
to jog it down to .0001"

The pi3b's killer problem is the internal usb2 hub it uses as a bus for
everything except gpio and the wifi.  So that hub is busier that a at of
a tin roof, dropping traffic like crazy for the slower stuff like the
keyboard and mouse buttons. Missed key-up events are common. But the
user may not notice that if just browsing the web with firefox.

> Xibase9 can't be that hard to adjust programs to, though there would
> be some adjusting. OS-9 uses drivers and system calls, so programs
> that follow the rules should be adaptable from K-windows. Those that
> write directly to the system and bypass those conventions would take
> more work. While K-windows compatibility might sound good, it's a dead
> system. Better to switch to something with more current support,
> though I haven't seen Xibase9. There has to be things like editors for
> it though, and should be at least some interest in other things
> written for it. Will take time to build a base, but if some of the
> older OS-9 and OSK programs can be ported, that would speed the
> transition up. You can download an evaluation copy of Xibase9 that
> will run on Linux or Windows. Don't know what the limitations are.
> Downloads - XiSys Software GmbH
>

> Downloads - XiSys Software GmbH
>
> Klaus Gerstendörfer
>
> Download the demo version of XiBase9 for Windows, Linux or OS9
>

> Gene, there are other boards supported. Remember, these are industrial
> controls companies, so they are targeting easily embedded boards
> first, most likely boards they currently use/plan to use. All are ARM
> based. MicroSys miriac™ SBC6Q,i.MX6Q
> Atmark Techno Armadillo840, R8A7740Atmark Techno Armadillo440,
> i.MX257OLIMEX A20-OLinuXino ZYBO, Xilinx Zxnq-7000
> AtmelAT91 SAMA5D3X-EK, SAMA5D3x
> WinSystems SBC35-c398Q,i.MX6Q
> These are reported on www.microware.com as "in the works", but
> obviously the R-Pi is about ready: Freescale MCIMX53 i.MX53
> Freescale Layerscape LS1021A
> MicroSys miriac™ SBC53,i.MX53
> OLIMEX A10& A13 (MICRO)
> OLIMEX iMX233-OLinuXino-MAXI, i.MX233
> Atmark Techno Armadillo840, R8A7740
> Beagle Bone Black, AM3358
> Raspberry PI, BCM2835
> Atmel SAMA5D3-XPLD, SAMA5D36
> Cubieboard: Board (A10) Board 2 (A20) & Truck(A20)
> FriendlyARM MINI210, S5PV210
> FriendlyARM MINI6410, S3C6410
> Mpression Helio, Cyclone V

> OS-9 RTOS Microware Hawk Hawkeye ARM X86 PPC Power PC

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)