[Coco] OS-9 on Raspberry Pi

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Wed Jun 5 08:32:06 EDT 2019

Allen Huffman already mentioned this in a post, but I have some additional
info. For one, go to www.microware.com and read the "Microware OS-9
Overview" and the "OS-9 For ARM" tabs. At the bottom of the overview you
will find "Since February 2013 Microware OS‐9 is owned by a part‐nership
of three companies, MicroSys, Freestation(Japan)and RTSI(USA). They have
formed   Microware LP (www.microware.com)to actively continue the
development on OS‐9."

With the $50 personal OS-9 license for the RPI0W (currently developing for
more platforms) you can build a complete new system for $150 or less
(depending on case and peripheral choices) complete with OS-9!! Our own
Boisy Pitre and Allen Huffman have been consulting with Microware, at
least informally, so I expect to see a good package come out with some
input from them and others in the community through them. The "CoCo4"
could very well be a R-Pi with a CoCo emulator (for backward
compatibility) and native OS-9... maybe with a board enhancement or two...
 OS-9 is also on other ARM board, one that has been mentioned on the list
is the Beagle Bone. Hopefully this community will settle on one of the
R-Pi models and "standardize" on it. Would make development of add-on
boards and software so much easier...