[Coco] Video band width and accessing video memory

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Jun 3 19:02:36 EDT 2019

Here’s a snippet from the CoCo3FPGA manual that explains how it works:

The default 256 colors are contained in an internal RAM block in the FPGA. Because they are in RAM, they can be changed. This means the 256 color palette can be changed. To change one of the 256 colors, write the desired 12 bit color data into Palette 0. Then write the color number that is to be changed into IO address $FF7E. The color contain in Palette 0 will be written into the 256 color RAM at the address specified in IO location $FF7E.

Dave