[Coco] Video band width and accessing video memory

Alex Evans varmfskii at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 22:49:03 EDT 2019

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 8:26 PM tim franklinlabs.com
<tim at franklinlabs.com> wrote:

>    320x225x4 can either be 4 pixels or 4 color. The math is the same. 2
>    bits / pixel.:
>    color 0: 00
>    color 1: 01
>
>    color 2: 10
>
>    color 3: 11

I'm sorry, but people *do* write things like x8 to mean 256 colors,
x16 to mean 65536 colors, x24 to mean 16777216 colors, and x32 to mean
16.7M colors with an 8 bit alpha channel.And while it is far less
common, I have seen people use things like x1 to mean 1 bit color. It
may not be the most common usage, but people do use it that way.

So far as timing is concerned, 320x225 makes no sense on a CoCo 1/2 as
you would either talk about the available screen space of 256x192, or
the full screen size with either 262 (assuming NTSC) lines.