[Coco] BASIC09 Compile

James Jones jejones3141 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 14:54:45 EDT 2019

Reasons that come to mind:

   - runb is a sort of shared library but in reverse--if I were feeling
   categorical, I'd say it's a shared colibrary :). It has the common code
   that implements the I-code statements and built-in functions of BASIC09. It
   wasn't until OS-9/68000 that Microware wrote cio, a shared library for C
   standard I/O--is it not practical for the 6809, or under Level 2? I don't
   know, but you'd definitely want a shared BASIC09 library if you were going
   to compile significant BASIC09 code.
   - I suspect compiled I-code would be considerably bigger than the
   I-code, especially if you had to statically link in hunks of what's now in
   runb. That's not a good tradeoff in general, especially under Level 1, and
   the tradeoff varies from program to program--if you're I/O bound, it
   probably doesn't matter.