[Coco] Programs larger than 32K?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Mon Jan 21 15:26:29 EST 2019

On Jan 21, 2019, at 2:21 PM, Arthur Flexser <flexser at fiu.edu> wrote:

> I would think that POKE&H19,&HE:POKE&HE00,0:NEW would do the equivalent of
> PCLEAR 0, though I haven't tested this.

I believe there might have been one gotcha with setting the start pointer, but maybe NEW resolves that.

The PCLEAR 0 code I got from Rainbow has the advantage of being able to relocate the program, so you can include it in your code and it happens during RUN. Obviously, if what you want to load is larger that normal available memory, this won’t work. You’d have to have a loader that starts first, does the PCLEAR 0, then loads the actual program. Or type the POKES and NEW given above.

The Dragon 64 had a way to relocate the ROMs to give 40K to BASIC. I don’t know if KEY264 did something like that, or if anyone ever ported the Dragon trick to CoCo, but that would be useful.