[Coco] Nitros9 Boot Process

Walter zambotti at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 15 10:32:28 EST 2019

Bill

That makes sense.

How is the boot organised on the nos96809l2v030300coco3_dw.dsk?

It appears to be a single disk image with no floppys appended to the end of it.

I think I get it!

The VCCemudisk has floppys appended after 5A000 and the RGBDOS is aware of that offset!  And that was done to specifically boot from a floppy.

If the ROM (RGBDOS, HDBDOS or whatever) is not aware of that offset then they will read from sector 0.

Which is why I can boot Nitros9 from nos96809l2v030300coco3_dw.dsk with my HDB-DOS rom and without any floppy!

Why wasn't this same approach also used for the VCCemudisk? Because then you wouldn't have any DECB floppies???

I'm figuring that I could convert a VCCemudisk to boot without a floppy if I can free track 34 to perform  a successful os9gen.

Walter