[Coco] DW4 Nitros9 and floppy disk access

Walter zambotti at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 13 09:13:54 EST 2019

Some more info.

With the miniFlASH in slot 3 and the FD-502 in slot four.

If I start the CoCo with the MPI selector set to slot 3 I get the behaviour described before.

If I set the MPI to slot 4 then I get the DECB and I can access the floppy but HDB-DOS does not start. But
I suppose this is to be expected.

If I start the MPI on slot 3 again and after HDB-DOS has started I change the MPI selector to slot 4
I can access both DriveWire and the floppy drive.  Now we're talking!

However I'm not sure I like changing the MPI selector while it is on!

Is there a way I can do this via software?

And one last thing.  Only the real Tandy floppy drive works my crazy Chinon floppy drive doesn't work!
I can hear the Chinon floppy trying to read but it just re-attempts several times and then errors.

However at this point let's just forget the Chinon drive. I would like to have both HDB-DOS and the Tandy floppy
working at the same time.

Continuing. Once I get in Nitros9 I can see both DriveWire and the Tandy floppy.

I then attempted to backup a 40track DS floppy to a blank 40TDS.dsk on drive wire and it started.

backup /d0 /x1 #32k

However it crashes with error #248 (media full error).  I can see on DriveWire it gets about 95% of the way
through the backup.

Now I know the virtual floppy was the same size as the real floppy because Drivewire shows the sector count
(1440) and free /d0 showed the same sector count (1440). So I'm not sure why it ran out of media!

The when I "dir /x1" it is blank!!!

Seems the backup didn't work at all!!!

And when I "dir /d0" it is now also blank!!!  It seems to have wiped the source disk during the backup!!!
Lucky that was a spare!

I will put a write protect tab on the next floppy I try!

Walter