[Coco] Dw4 and hdbdos

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Jan 12 13:45:39 EST 2019

On Saturday 12 January 2019 12:36:31 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> Yes, except use cobbler. It'll make a duplicate of the boot you're
> running. Someone was working on OS9Gen as it was having problems
> creating boots on HDs, but I don't know if it was fixed.
>
> cobbler /x1
>
> Note, cobbler will fail if track 34 is being used.

And thats a pita. And makes me wonder if the creation works like
my /r0.dd and (my)ram.dr driver.  Thats where if you want to use it on
your machine utilizing spare memory, (I have a 2meg disto kit in my
coco3) the format operaion is part of initializing it for use. Building
a usable os9, rbf compatible filesystem in a block of allocated memory,
only takes about 100 milliseconds. on the first access the memory is
allocated, and the disk image is created in that allocated memory. Most
will not note the lag between the first access to /r0, and the results
of allocating and formatting it for use as a ramdisk. Its actually that
fast. Deinizing it when done actually takes a hair longer in perceived
time lag. And it returns every byte back to the systems memory pool.

I'm not complaining because someone borrowed the idea, thats what I put
it out there for. For folks to use.

And I just had an epiphany about the track34 problem, and the answer has
been right it front of me for 25 years.

It could be addressed with Chris Burk's bd utility, which can clear the
bits occupied by track 34 from the disk allocation map. Someone should
can that up in a fixed executeable, to be added to the mb script so this
is automatically done in front of the mb commands that assemble a new
boottrack in the filesystem, then writes it to the now unallocated track
34.  Voila! No error for either os9gen or cobbler.

Somebody should just do it.

I'm recovering from a pacemaker implantation and currently on an
antibiotic that slows my reflexes enough its not recommended I drive or
climb a flight of stairs, and could cause ripped tendons too. So I'm not
going down my basement steps to check it out.

Sometimes one needs to step back and look at the forest from a different
angle before seeing the birch in a grove of pine trees. One could even
make a quick formatter by clearing the allocation map beyond the top of
the map itself. But that would need to regenerate a root directory with
the first two, . and .. entries. And don't forget that the first "root"
directory is only 7 sectors long, the 8th being the directories file
descriptor in front of it.  All other directories on a disk can be
almost arbitrary in size.

The disk would have to have been successfully formatted once before
however, something I cannot do on my machine so I actually have to
delete everything on the disk, includeing track 34 before running an mb
to make a new boot disk. With all the ^&$@ module splitups that were
done, each of which needs another $27 bytes of system ram to track, I am
out of system ram as a format needs 6144 bytes for the track image, and
enough to run itself in, so I get a crash, at least a hot reset required
after about 3 or 4 tracks have been written. The crash scribbles over
all mapped in memory, usually requiring a cold boot.

Cheers, Gene Heskett