[Coco] CoCo Internals (was: Coco Sound - Cartridge Input)

tim lindner tlindner at macmess.org
Fri Jan 4 09:59:09 EST 2019

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 12:08 AM Andrew <keeper63 at cox.net> wrote:
> Without researching it (I may be wrong), did only the SSC use that line?

The Orch-90 cart used it as well. Mono thru the TV, Stereo thru it's own jacks.

> Or what about the Spectrum Analyzer cartridge (how did that work -
> unless I didn't read the schematic properly and that line doesn't bypass
> the DAC)...?

It used audio from the cassette port. Did frequency counting with the
zero crossing circuit.

> ...and did the CoCo 3 have a similar input line from the cartridge
> connector? I didn't check it's service manual to find out.

Yes.

> There was one chip that is the 6821 - plain and simple. But there's a
> second chip that has a different number (don't recall what), but in the
> SM is marked as being a 6821 "select" chip? This is mentioned a couple
> of times in the SM, but it never says what it means by "select", or the
> reason for the different number. Maybe more is said in the datasheet for
> the 6821; I haven't looked.

The difference between the PIAs is the amount of current they can push
thru the output pins. This make the keyboard more reliable.

tim lindner

"Proper User Policy apparently means Simon Says."