[Coco] looking for latest toolshed location

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Dec 1 19:10:12 EST 2019

On Sunday 01 December 2019 17:48:16 Michael Miller wrote:

> On the one hand, I am terribly sorry to hear that your PC (literally)
> caught fire, but on the other hand... now is the perfect time to be
> buying a new computer and it will likely cost you less and net you
> more than you would expect. In particular there are fabulous deals to
> be had on 2nd gen AMD Ryzen CPUs (Microcenter was selling BNIB with
> CPU Cooler R7 2700X CPUs for ~$130, for example). If you want even
> better performance for a bit more money, the Ryzen R7 3700X is
> extremely potent.

I wound up going with Intel this time as I've never been able to get
really good latency-test figures out of amd stf. But I didn't climb the
ladder that far, only to a 6 core, 65 watt I5 for a bit over $230.
Potentially 3x faster than the slow phenom I've been running for the
last 12 years.  Thats quite a bit faster than I run at my age (85) now
anyway. LOL.

Blew the budget on memory though, 32GB in 2 sticks, so I could fill the
other two slots for 64GB. An Asus 390 something mobo, lots of usb-3.1
and 6 sata ports. The only thing I lost was IEEE-1394 for my semi-hi-def
handi-cam. So I may have to raid somebodies NOS for a pci-e firewire
card. Paid a bit extra for 3 day delivery. Maybe I'll have it running by
the time they put a new aortic valve in, in mid December, the old man
and his DM-II is catching up with me. OTOH, I've made the reaper blink
twice now in the last 6 years now, so I'm on a roll.

Now I'll have to update my network switch too as this mobo's gigahertz is
10x faster than the M2N-SLI-deluxe board that burned up was. There is
always the next slow thing in any system.