[Coco] Coco Modem phone line connection

Alex Evans varmfskii at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 12:35:46 EST 2019

Phones don't use time division multiplexing, and neither do classic
analog modems. If we look at the simple case of a 300 baud modem, it
manages full duplex because it uses four different tones, two for the
answer side and two for the originate side with one tone one each side
for 0 and a different one for each side for a 1. Originate uses 1070
and 1270 Hz while answer uses 2025 and 2225 Hz. You could call it
frequency division multiplexing.